Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Relaxing Weekend without Kids? Yeah.


You would think there would be no down side to having my father voluntarily take all three of my kids for a long weekend.

I don't know what he was thinking. Although I am with my 12 year old, 10 year old and four year old all of the time, I am sure it must be intense for someone not used to it.

Yet he did take them and they had a great weekend. They spent a good deal of time playing outside because of the unseasonal warmth. The four year old, who is notoriously difficult to get to sleep, went to bed well all weekend--as long as he was sleeping with both of his sisters.

Now all of the kids are back home and we are resuming our usual routines with a little extra oomph because of my New Year's resolution to keep the house cleaner.

And that resolution has already hit a huge snag. I was prepared for my 12 year old to be truculent and derail our efforts.

Nope.

The lovely, relaxing weekend I enjoyed while the kids were at my father's house has left me with a potty training regression.

Instead of just reminding the kids to pick up after themselves and establishing new chore charts, I'm cleaning furniture and giving baths four times a day. It is difficult to embark on new routines when I have to clean up emergencies frequently.

So I am back to setting timers every two hours to remind my guy to head to the potty. I just hope it is only a short adjustment!

No comments: