Monday, February 21, 2011

Common Ground

I participate in a book club with some very nice women. All of them are older than me, ranging from a few years to a couple of decades. Unsurprisingly, my political beliefs are unique.

There is a particular woman with whom I disagree on a huge number of subjects. She identifies as a secular humanist. Yet I find myself enjoying her company immensely. I liken it to Kira's enjoyment of her time with Andrei in "We the Living". I can appreciate that she has identified some level of philosophy and she has a grudging respect for my explicit and consistent views.

During our most recent discussion ("Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls), another member drug out that old Taoist trope,"Without dark, there is no light. What is good without evil?" I and my secular humanist friend both stated our unequivocal disagreement. It is fascinating to see completely different belief systems agree sometimes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: