Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gooey Goodness: Cinnamon Rolls



I did something today that I have never done. I made cinnamon rolls. I've made maple-cinnamon-raisin sticky buns before, but never plain cinnamon rolls. This recipe is specifically adapted to use the 'dough' cycle of a bread machine. I found the reciped at Money Saving Mom's Bread Machine Cinnamon Roll post. They were very good.

I generally followed the reciped from the post. It was very important to check dough consistency during the initial mixing. Mine were much too sticky at first. I did only a few things differently, like using butter instead of oil. As a note, I believe the 4 cups of flour refers to all-purpose flour, not bread flour. I used 2 cups of bread flour and 2 cups of all-purpose flour. I divided the dough before rolling it out. I rolled the first half into a 10" by 14" (approximately) rectangle (wonky though it was), spread the filling, rolled it, cut off the uneven ends, and then slice it into 9 (almost 1" wide) slices. I placed the slices into a greased 9"x9" pan and then baked it. The second half (shown in the images) was worked slightly differently. I rolled it into a much larger rectangle (knowing that I would need about 15 rolls to fit into the 9"x13" baking pan I had available) that was about 15" by 18". After adding the filling and rolling it, I cut slightly less than 1" slices to get 15 of them. I place them in the pan and then let them rise, covered by plastic wrap, in a warm location (in my house, the only warm location was the open, off oven after the other rolls had finished baking). The picture above shows them after rising and before baking. The pictures below show them after baking and then with the icing. I doubled the filling, which was yummy, but with that and the too much icing, it was very, very sweet. I would use less filling and less icing next time.



1 comment:

Rachel said...

You aren't helping me stick to my commitment to avoid grains, Kim!

/drool/