Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Elevator Family by Douglas Evans

Our local library has a few book clubs. They have one for 1st and 2nd graders, 3rd and 4th graders, 4th and 5th grade girls, and 4th and 5th grade boys. Having just started, Flurpee got to read The Elevator Family .

Living in an elevator is not everyone's cup of tea, but the Wilsons sleep in their cozy Otis elevator, eat in it, and even entertain in it. What I enjoyed most was the language. I have not found many clever books for younger readers, but this one fits the bill. Word play like alliteration, synonyms, and homonyms helped make this book enjoyable.

While I enoyed this book overall, and one can only expect so much from a young reader, the story line is disjointed and inconsistent in some areas. Though it is a nit and the overall experience of the book is enjoyable. Even Hanover (at 10 and reading 400 page books) enjoyed the story and especially the clever wording.

2 comments:

topsytechie said...

Sigh...I miss those kinds of young readers. My boys are into such teen mumbo-jumbo now (although they both like the Hobbit, and I can't argue with them there!) Might have to check this one out just for li'l ole me!

WT Melon said...

I'm glad your kids enjoyed my book The Elevator Family. That was a fun book to write. Only the best! They might also enjoy reading MVP: Magellan Voyage Project. I'll be talking about that book when I tour Connecticut in November.