Saturday, December 06, 2008

Blogging Observations

I think blogging can be slightly addictive and change your perspective in weird ways. I felt like I hadn't blogged in an age--only to see the last post was from just before Thanksgiving--only two weeks ago. Another thing I've noticed is how I think in terms of 'blogability.' I have a somewhat focused blog here. I tend to discuss mostly my home education and occasionally politics (I used to do a lot more politics, but now that I am familiar with other great blogs that say the same thing I generally would in a more effective and grammatically correct way, the need has vanished).

I often come across an article, or think of an idea and decide whether the idea, or my view of it, would be worthwhile to post here. Sometimes I post things here for myself (like a virtual memory base or book-marking system). I am surprised at how many times I actually search my own blog because I wanted to recover a link. Mostly I try to post ideas about education that I feel would be very beneficial to anyone interested in pedagogy. I try to remember who might be reading the blog and take that into account. No embarrassing stories about friends for instance.

You may notice that I haven't posted any science or girls' club updates either. That is because I doubted their appeal. If anyone is interested in knowing about either, just go ahead and leave a comment.

And Flurpee's birthday party is finally over. Build-a-Bear parties are fun for the kids, but let me just state for the record that doing anything at the mall in the month of December is very tricky business. Were it not for the efforts of a couple of very sweet and helpful parents, it would not have been a nice as it turned out! Wrangling tables in the food court is not easy during the Christmas season. I am glad it worked out. There was a woman there three hours before her child's party was even scheduled to begin trying to collect tables. I think that was a bit excessive, but she probably didn't panic at the sheer number of snackers and the clear lack of open tables. Whew! Glad that's over!

4 comments:

LB said...

Hi Kim!

I have not been blogging lately either as I feel I have absolutely nothing to contribute. However! My lack of blogging effort has unleashed some major holiday preparation efforts so I'm looking good there. I do miss blogging, though.

I am very interested in your science work. I am in the throes of my physics section of our science coop and have flopped in attempting to reproduce some milestone experiments (I have only 4 - 1.5 hour classes in which to lay the foundation of Newtonian physics). But I persist.

And I need a theme for my blog. I'm not talking theme song, which would clearly be something from the 80s, but a cohesive purpose to my blogging. So far it's been whatever floats my boat.

Speaking of which, while "displacement" has been added to my sci-kids' vocabulary, I'm not sure that I adequately conveyed the idea of buoyancy as would satisfy Archimedes, and that is one of my science goals: to honor the men who discovered the science. Big job, little time.

I think I'll go blog about that, or about the "not blogging" theme, now.

christinemm said...

Hi Kim,
I was with a family last week who take your husband's astronomy class and they were raving about it.

If the night were different I'd love to put my kids on the waiting list.

I am interested in anything you have to say about homeschooling in general, learning and kids, and your views on teaching science.

Another idea that I am still looking for opinions on you may have an opinion. That is, my older son wants to be an engineer, mechanical engineer or aerospace, he thinks. So I was thinking how my goal of a classical education a la closely to The Well Trained Mind is that really smart? I felt torn suddenly (last year) at the idea that my notion for a 'good education' may over-emphasize certain things for a student who seeks a field that would require other strengths. For example I was stressing that we never got around yet to starting Latin and that I've fallen down on history. But the question is: Is a classical education really good and best for all?

Or if a child aged 10 or 11 thinks they really want to be an engineer should extra time be spend on certain subjects and others can fall by the wayside?

I was thinking of how my son's passions were being paid less attention to becuase I was steering toward a classical home education model. My epiphany was maybe rather than force him to do tons of history, Latin, music history and art history, why not do a ton of science and math and other types of math (concepts not just operations).

I'm not an unschooler who feels that only my child's passions should be taught though.

So do you have opinions on that idea? Perhaps you could blog it? Or else email me?

THANKS and have a great day.

(BTW the idea of a mall party in December is a formula for complete stress for me. I was too busy this year and am ashamed to admit that my younger's sons friend party was 5 months late and older son's was 2 months late. Sigh.)

Kim said...

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments! I go out of my way now to leave comments on blogs because I see how cool it is to know that someone may appreciate it. I certainly do! Christine, I'm going to give serious thought to your questions and post something!

doucement said...

I'd be interested in how Writing With Ease is working out for you with the two kids. I saw your post on how your older child didn't like it but the younger one did. Any updates?