Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How Are My Kids Doing?

Not my kids, I'm not touching that subject right now. The above question is one that homeschoolers often face if they put together separate curricula or (like I would like to do) make their own from scratch. I've listed my sources of information previously (the World Book Encyclopedia online listing). I also have the Core Knowledge series (though I don't follow them much). Here's another resource to use as a gauge if you need some ideas of what your kids should or could be capable of learning: a sample TIMSS test online. They have both math and science available for 3rd grade through high school. TIMSS is short for Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (it's that test you hear about all the time when we find out that American students place behind Finland in mathematics, etc.).

3 comments:

Patsy Wang-Iverson said...

Dear Kim,

Re < TIMSS is short for Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (it's that test you hear about all the time when we find out that American students place behind Finland in mathematics, etc.).

The assessment in which Finland tops the U.S. is PISA, Program for International Student Assessment (www.pisa.oecd.org).

Patsy

Kim said...

Ah! Thank you for the information.

jugglingpaynes said...

Hello, I just wanted to thank you for the nomination over at Alasandra's. I'm glad you enjoy my site!

The TIMSS site looks interesting. I'm off to check it out.

Peace and Laughter!
Cristina