Saturday, July 19, 2008

NSFW: Sex Ed Books for Kids (Sexual Education)

I already said that I had been to a book sale last week. While I was there, I came across a couple of "How Babies Are Made" books that I thought I'd share. They're picture books. Yep--not just discussing the mechanics, but pictured for true and complete edification. I now present these pictures to you so you can decide for yourself which, if any, of these books you may wish to share with the beloved children in your home. If you don't have children in your home, you may just enjoy the pictures!

The first book we've had before. It's called "How Babies Are Made" and it's a paper collage format. It starts very simply with the 'birds and the bees.' Really it starts with the bees and the pollen and moves onto the chickens and eggs, and then dogs. This is a bit of an abstract approach. While the mechanics are discussed, some things are left to the imagination. As you can see, the illustrations are quite nice. The text of the book is simple, kind of large, and to-the-point.




Here is "The True Story of How Babies are Made." This book is creepy and fascinating in only the way that the 70s can be. First of all, check out the dude's facial hair. There is something about the squiggly lines that just reminds me of worms. The whole vibe (ha!) of the 70s continues in the utter lack of clothing, the facial and fully natural body hair, the perm, and the really complete explanation of act of fertilization itself (don't hang your prude middle-America morality on us, man). There is nothing left to the imagination in this book (which is great when you have one of those kids who just won't take 'trust me' for an answer). The biggest issue I have with this book is the wierd, wierd, wierd drawing style. When you get the last photo, you may have the same issue! This book has more text than the book above, but is not necessarily more informative.



Is that not quite creepy? I mean, really, is that kid about to do a somersault right outta that thing? I'm pretty sure, judging by the strained smiles on the father (hey--look, he decided to get dressed) and the doctor (poor backward woman didn't know enough to use a midwife and give birth at home--just kidding--though it would have really driven the whole 70s meme home), they are a bit nervous about this creature springing forth on his own as well.

6 comments:

LB said...

Now that last picture is what I call "Hello World!" Are we trying to scare or educate the children here? That 70s guy is really sexy, huh?

I do like the simple paper collage look of the first book, but I needed some help figuring out the birth picture. That is not a good sign that it will be helpful in explaining things.

Thanks for the laugh.

Kim said...

I think both books can be useful. My daughter needed the second book because she wanted to know exactly how part of the daddy gets to be in the baby. I couldn't even come close to explaining it myself, but I did show her those pictures. Her reaction was one of dismay and disgust. But she got it and I'll bet she'll never ask me anything again! Oh yeah--and she thought the erection picture was funny.

Kim said...

She just came in while I was writing the comment and saw the picture. She seemed pleased to know that I did buy the books I had shown her in the library. I guess more than a quick overview is in order. Good enough to go back to twice for her.

Lisa said...

Oh my God! I forgot all about that book. That first one was 1/2 of my sex education ( the other 1/2 was all the Playboys in my dad's bathroom).

Just happened on your blog. I am an atheist, homeschooling mom with a baby so had to look around. Enjoying your writing and have bookmarked it.

Kim said...

Thanks! I hope you stop by often. I will be more active after the beginning-of-the-school-year crunch passes.

Anonymous said...

That last picture is one of the funniest things I have ever seen! LOVE IT!