Monday, June 30, 2008

Cheap Books and Limited Free Samples

I love books.

Dover Publications reprints about a billion older text books plus a ton of copyright-free clip art books. They're also known for cheap classics as well as a number of abridged children's books. If you like getting free stuff, you can actually sign up to receive a link to weekly free clip art. I don't know what you'll do with it, but it could be used to practice art lessons (copy this, sketch that), or design your own cards or stationary.

If you love old library books (as I've recently decided I do in my attempt to corner the market on "How Did We Find Out" books and "How and Why Wonder Books"), then you can't beat Amazon marketplace ('see other ways to buy this book' button) and Campusi.com. Enter a book search term and Campus i will check out all of the book sellers to find the book (used or new) and then display their price, even with shipping. Great resource I discovered from a local homeschool friend.

2 comments:

objectivistDad said...

"... my attempt to corner the market on "How Did We Find Out" books..."

Aha! That was you on eBay!! I thought I was bidding against someone who must love the books. Next time, we should collude, lol.

Seriously though, I think your blog was the one that mentioned Asimov's series, and started my search. I didn't know about it before. So, thanks. I have just managed to buy one off eBay, but have not leafed through it yet.)

Kim said...

I got all of mine through Amazon marketplace or betterworld.com. I've tried a few of those eBay purchases and I just don't have the wherewithal to sit around for the last 1/2 hour of every auction to sneak in the last bid. I've tried once and the 'you're the highest bidder' lure is too great. I turn to the dark side of the force as I nickel-and-dime my opponent to death and end up paying 25% more for an object I definitely didn't need.

Those "How Did We Find Out" books are precisely the needed essentialization for a lot! Now, whenever I'm at a library book sale, I pick up all of Isaac Asimov's nonfiction for kids. That guy was prolific.

Funny, I never did like his autobiography (I think part one had something like 800 pages) or his fiction.