Sunday, May 11, 2008

Go Speed Racer! Go!

Which could also be interpreted as a recommendation. Which is good, because it is. Mostly I really enjoyed the movie.

It was full of fast paced action scenes, race courses out of the imagination of a hard-core gladiator-meets-the-ninja type. I think Trixie, played by Christina Ricci, was weak (not nearly as fun as the Trixie in the cartoon). Susan Sarandon does an OK job of being the mom. John Goodman was really good as Pops. Sprittle and Chim-Chim were cute and a little more circumspect than I recall in the cartoon. I wish they had the original theme song in the movie more.

Reservations: the evil guys are race-sponsors that are typical-for-Hollywood corrupt power mongers. Another not-so-great part was Speed learning to drive from his brother Rex and Rex telling him that the car will tell him what it needs. In the end it seems much different than 'feeling' the car--which we all do while driving.

Otherwise it was very enjoyable and a lot of fun. Both my 9 year-old and my 6 year-old enjoyed it.

No comments: