Monday, March 24, 2008

Homemade Clothes for My Littlest Girl


(updated to add a link)

That's my girl. Boy, does she like to pose. She's a natural-born model. You can find out more about my sewing, hobbies, and domestic experiments at From the Earth, Past the Moon.

This is the skirt and shirt that I mentioned below. She got to pick the pattern and I chose the fabric. The shirt is a pull-over style with a square neck (blocked by her hair) and the skirt is a six-gore flared pull-on with a light-pink ribbon trim that matches the lighter pink of the shirt. The daisy on the front of the skirt plays up a tiny daisy pattern on the shirt.
What's up with the sudden interest in sewing? Well, it's not so sudden. It has been an on-again-off-again type of hobby for me since graduating college. I've made clothes for myself in the past and last made clothes for the kids about four years ago so that all three girls could have matching dresses for an Easter picture. Sewing is one of the few crafts that has stood the test of time with me. I happen to like making something that I get to see being used and enjoyed.
During my nursing web reading I've come across a few great blogs that are dedicated to fabric, sewing, and other crafts. I just got inspired by them.
Here are some: Hello My Name is Heather, Anna Maria, Portabello Pixie, the Wooden Spool, angry chicken, Sis Boom Day Dreams and then you click on links to some other great blogs.
Another great thing: Bella Dia just started a blog to track kids on-line crafts, The Crafty Crow!

4 comments:

Monica said...

How fun! Those clothes are great. Your daughter reminds me of me as a kid. I was constantly changing oufits and posing. Loved skirts and dresses, you couldn't get me into pants. (This has definitely changed!)

I've long been interested in sewing, but any sewing I've done has been by hand. I made a small quilt in high school by hand. It was painstaking. :)

Would you have any advice for someone who wants to get into machine sewing? I know nothing about it, but would love to take up sewing one of these days to make my own clothes.

LB said...

Yay! You're back!

Sewing is one of the few crafty things that has stood the test of time with me too, Kim. This year, in addition to the traditional Halloween sewing, I bought my daughters and niece sewing machines for Christmas and have given the two littlest ones lessons (can't seem to grab the time with the 14 year-old yet). They did a terrific job making hats, mittens, and scarves in fleece (very forgiving).

The set you made for Victoria is adorable.

I look forward to hearing more from you as time permits.

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Thanks for visiting and thanks so much for mentioning my blog you are so sweet!!! Jennifer

Kim said...

Now first of all, isn't it great that someone who's running their own business came by to my little part of the 'net and took the time to thank me for linking to her blog? I already loved her fabrics and now I just love her dedication and thoughtfulness. I actually took a special trip to a fabric store I'd never been to looking specifically for her fabrics. It's like being a band groupie and being invited backstage.

OK--enough of the slobbering!

Thanks so much for commenting!

Lynne, it always does seem to be Halloween that brings out the machine.

Monica, I am, at best, a beginner to intermediate sewer, but I am also a lazy sewer, so I will dedicate a post to the bare basics!

Kim