Thursday, December 06, 2007

Movie Recommendation--Original Cheaper by the Dozen from 1950

Cheaper By the Dozen

This is a great movie adapted from Cheaper by the Dozen, a book written by two of the children. Do not confuse it with the movie staring Steve Martin. My daughter and I watched it and we enjoyed the humor as well as the parent's very active parenting style! I particularly enjoyed when the father talked about 'no formal lessons' and the dining room is painted with information about the solar system. No formal learning, but certainly an environment in which to learn.

2 comments:

Rational Jenn said...

Cheaper by the Dozen is one of my all-time favorite books. The sequel, too. I enjoyed studying some of the Gilbreaths' theories in grad school.

The Clifton Webb/Myrna Loy/Donna Reed movie is AWESOME, too. I have a strong memory of him buttoning up his vest with one hand by a timer. I second your recommendation.

Now I want to see it!

Kim said...

My daughter has already requested we rent the sequel next! Something that struck me while I was watching the movie is the nonchalant way the mother's schooling and involvement in the work is treated. She had a college degree, masters degree, and a doctorate all in a time (1900-1910) I believed meant women couldn't go to college. It was also taken for granted that her girl children would also go to college.

I haven't read the book--but it is always on my 'saved for later' Amazon cart!