Thursday, August 02, 2007

Gwen Stefani Capitulates

Malaysian Islamic students protested Gwen Stefani's performance because of, um, well, Gwen Stefani. They don't want her to wear revealing outfits or do anything naughty on stage. Gwen said "Go to Hell. This is my show. People here like my music. They are lining up to see my show. If you don't like it, you get everyone else not to come. I'm doing my show the way I designed and rehearsed it for the type of culture that would allow an artist like me to exist and become popular. If you don't like it, then stuff it. If you won't let me perform it the way I see fit, then call me back when you get some good ideas."

Oh, wait...That's what I imagine Gwen Stefani would have said if we lived in a world that made sense. Instead, she has modified her show and allowed the backwardness to win out even though if she had been in Malaysia she would have probably been flogged by now for her work.

2 comments:

Judy Aron said...

sigh - well it is all about the money isn't it Kim?

With all the protesting by people here in the US about how kids morals have sunk due to music and media etc.. if we voted with our feet, and our dollars, we would also see a change.

Although - perhaps Gwenni also did not want to get arrested or flogged.

Kim said...

I think, that most people are voting with their money. I don't get Britney Spears' or Christina Aguilera's (though I do like her look when she's getting all blonde-retro Marilyn-style) but a lot of people pay for it.

Me--I don't even have TV any more. I definitely decided to vote against the Disney channel and those stupid hovercraft, floam, and rainbow art kit commercials! Christmas was a joy last year.