Monday, July 16, 2007

The Jersey Devil

I grew up in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. I was familiar with the story of the Jersey Devil when I was very young. We had a family of five next door and I was the same age as the youngest.

There is nothing more frightening than sitting around when you're eight telling ghost stories about a demon that could live only a few miles away. My brother and I would go running home and not be able to venture out in the evenings for weeks.

I remember hearing that it was the 13th child of Mrs. Leeds and it ripped its way out of her stomach with its long claws. It was supposed to have goat-like legs, wings, long claws. I'm sketchy about whether it was supposed to have a goat-like face or human face. As with all legends, it varies.

I had no idea that the Jersey Devil was so well known. I had always assumed it was only a local legend. The wikipedia page has numerous references to it.

No comments: