Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Book Club Pick

We just finished reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I loved it. The heroine was more concerned with a marriage of equal minds rather than of social status and believed in justice and reward in this life rather than waiting for the after-life. Jane was very outspoken and strong of character. She did not wait for Mr. Rochester to speak his devotion--she was bold enough to admit her love for him first. What a refreshing book!

I am always drawn to classics, but a few members of the group find them beyond tedious, so I thought I'd try something different--a classic work from another genre. I picked And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. The book is short and includes a number of characters. I found this rather hard to track in the beginning. After the first four characters are quickly killed off, the names became easier to track but I found that I kept referring to the beginning of the book to re-read the nursery poem that the murders are modelled after.

I did not enjoy the book. It was a bit confusing and I felt cheated at the end. Here are the SparkNotes if you want to find out why without reading the book yourself.

No comments: