Saturday, January 13, 2007

Parenting Advice

Since leaving my job three months ago, I've come to learn something about myself and my daughter. Being home all of the time is like relearning parenting. I haven't been home with my children during any of their infant/toddler/preschool years. I had often commented that working allowed me to love my children more.

Our schedule was typical for a standard-industry working mom. Kids dropped off at school by 7:30 AM, picked up at 4:45 PM, home at 5:30. Dinner at 6 PM and getting ready for bed beginning at 7:30 PM. Aaron took the kids to school and so I had them for two hours and 45 minutes in the evening, half of which was spent driving and cooking. Not much time to have disagreements, talk about their day, play with each other, etc. I often made the hourly comparison of the amount of time I spent with my kids versus the daycare provider. The only way to come out on top was for my time to include driving time and subtract naps from theirs.

Spending 7:30 AM until 7:30 PM with my daughter now is a whole new world. We had a wonderful honeymoon period that lasted a little over a month. Right now all of the warts are coming out. It isn't as though all of the time is horrid. By no means! 98% of the time is good or normal disagreements. But those 2% times are like a bomb going off in the house! I've been listening to Linda Crawford's parenting lecture about Power Struggles. I am into the first lecture now and already have some ideas for changes.

No comments: